Newly-formed militant group claim responsibility for Egypt bombing

CAIRO: A newly formed militant group has claimed responsibility for a bomb attack targeting a police checkpoint in Cairo’s twin city of Giza that wounded six people.

In a statement posted late on Friday on a jihadi website, Ajnad Misr, Arabic for Egypt’s Soldiers said it carried out the double bombing that hit a police vehicle on a bridge earlier in the day.

It said its “soldiers reached the heart of the criminal apparatus … to send a message to them that they are not safe from retribution”.

It said its fighters were monitoring the movements of the police and the headquarters from which “they launch their attacks every Friday killing and abusing innocent people“.

The group issued its first statement last week, claiming responsibility for several such bombings including one on January 24 that hit police just as they returned from clashes with Muslim Brotherhood supporters protesting the ouster of Islamist President Mohammed Morsi.

The Brotherhood and its allies frequently take to the streets after Friday midday Muslim prayers. [More]