Yola — The death toll arising from the two separate attacks on a Church in Chakawa village, Madagali Local Government Area of Adamawa State and Kawuri village in Konduga, in Borno State has now risen to 138.
Armed men suspected to be members of the Boko Haram Islamic sect attacked Chakawa village in Madagali Local Government Area of Adamawa State as well as the Kawuri village in Konduga, Bornro State killing innocent people.
In Chakawa, the terrorists attacked a Catholic Church while the faithful were praying on Sunday with AK47 riffles and Improvised Explosive Devices, IED, killing many of them and wounding several others.
Also at Kawuri village in Borno State, another gang of terrorists invaded the rural community killing no fewer than 52 people.
Council boss speaks
However, the Chairman of Madagali Local Government, in Adamawa where a Catholic Church was attacked, Mr. Maina Ularamu said that local officials have counted 47 corpses, including those of two policemen, adding that several others who were wounded were still receiving treatment in some hospitals in the area.
Ularamu said that the gunmen who were armed to the teeth with sophisticated weapons later invaded another border village and killed more people before fleeing to the neighbouring Cameroun Republic.
A resident of the area who pleaded anonymity, however, stated that he counted about 53 bodies before they were evacuated to hospitals.
Commander confirms attack
The Brigade Commander of the 23 Armoured Brigade, Yola, Brigadier-General Rogers Nicholas, confirmed the attack saying, however, that he was yet to ascertain the death toll.
Nicholas further said that the impact of the attack was minimal pointing out that the military was on top of the situation.
This was even as residents of the area said they were living in perpetual fear as more attacks could be launched since none of the attackers had been apprehended by the security operatives.
The spokesman for the Catholic Diocese of Yola, Reverend Father Raymond Danbouye, also confirmed that dozens were killed and that some of corpses were buried after a funeral service on Monday.
At Kawuri, Borno State, residents said that gunmen suspected to be Boko Haram terrorists attacked them on Sunday pointing out that they had so far buried 85 bodies even as more others were still being discovered.
The residents spoke when the state Governor, Kashim Shettima, visited to condole with them on the tragedy yesterday. According to them, they had buried 83 bodies earlier before recovering two unidentified bodies which were buried yesterday morning.
Victims with bullet wounds
Councillor of Kawuri village, Dala Lawan, said about 40 persons with serious bullet wounds and burns were earlier recovered.
“We have been searching and burying corpses since yesterday. We first buried 53 corpses and more are still being picked up in the bushes. Those with serious wounds died. We have just found two more corpses which brings the death toll to 85 for now,” Lawan told Shettima.