At least 49 dead in 24 hours of clashes on Egypt revolt anniversary

At least 49 people have been killed in 24 hours of clashes that erupted on Saturday during rival rallies marking the anniversary of Egypt’s 2011 revolt, the health ministry said.

In addition, 247 people were injured, the ministry said in a statement on Sunday.

The interior ministry said for its part that 1,079 people had been arrested during the demonstrations that came three years after the start of the uprising that forced long-serving autocrat Hosni Mubarak to quit.

Three years after Egyptians rose up to demand the overthrow of Mubarak, thousands of demonstrators in Cairo’s Tahrir Square chanted slogans backing another military man, General Abdel Fattah al-Sisi, as police clashed with Islamists and activists elsewhere.

The clashes broke out between protesters who support deposed Islamist president Mohammed Mursi and those backing the military, which ousted him in July after a single turbulent year in power.

Security forces have since waged a bloody crackdown in which at least 1,000 people have been killed and thousands of Islamists arrested, including virtually all top leaders of Mursi’s Muslim Brotherhood movement.

Mursi has also been jailed.

Egypt was already on edge after four bombs exploded in Cairo on Friday, including a massive blast outside police headquarters. The attacks, which were claimed by a Sinai-based extremist group, killed six people.

Hours before Saturday’s rallies, a small bomb outside a police training centre in north Cairo wounded one person, while another 16 were wounded when a car bomb exploded beside a police base in the canal city of Suez, according to the health ministry.[Full article]