A German tourist may have contracted Japan’s first case of dengue fever in more than 60 years, the health ministry said Friday.
The Health, Labor and Welfare Ministry is asking the public to be on alert for the dangerous disease after a German woman was diagnosed with it upon returning from a trip to Japan last August.
The woman, 51, visited several mainland areas from Aug. 19 to 31 last year. She was diagnosed with dengue fever in Germany after developing a high fever, nausea and other symptoms starting Sept. 3.
According to the ministry, the woman recovered after a week of hospitalization. She is said to have complained about being bitten by a mosquito in Japan.
In East Asia, dengue fever is transmitted by the tiger mosquito. Those bitten by an infected mosquito often develop a sudden fever around three to seven days after transmission, accompanied by head and muscle pains and a rash.
Most people will develop mild symptoms, but a small number might go into shock, which can be life-threatening.[Full story]