MANILA, Philippines (AP) — At least six people have been killed and 15 others wounded in separate bomb attacks in the Philippines’ southern region, the military and police said.
A homemade bomb exploded at a kiosk in Basilan province’s Sumisip township, killing six people and wounding 10 others during a New Year’s party late Tuesday, said armed forces spokesman Lt. Col. Ramon Zagala.
Zagala said the explosion was unrelated to the raucous revelry common in the country when Filipinos set off firecrackers and fire weapons to greet the New Year.
“This is really an improvised explosive device,” he said, adding the motive was still unknown.
Hours earlier in Cotabato province’s Carmen township, a motorcycle-riding assailant hurled a grenade outside a Protestant church wounding a mother, her three children and another girl, police said. Police said three men on two motorcycles were seen speeding away.
Capt. Antonio Bulao, a local army spokesman, said the assailants may have planned to attack a local police outpost but decided to throw the grenade at a weaker target.[Full story]